You put a lot of effort into working out hard and striving to become the best version of yourself but chances are you’ve given more thought to your pre-workout meal than your post-workout meal. Consuming the right nutrients after you exercise is just as important as what you eat before and were here to help you achieve it.
Post Workout Meal Importance
To understand how the right foods can help you after exercise, it’s important to understand how your body is affected by physical activity.
Eating the right nutrients soon after you exercise can help your body get this done faster. It is particularly important to eat carbs and protein after your workout.
Doing this helps your body:
- Decrease muscle protein breakdown.
- Increase muscle growth.
- Restore glycogen stores.
- Enhance recovery.
BOTTOM LINE: Getting in the right nutrients after exercise can help you rebuild your muscle proteins and stimulate new muscle growth.
- Sweet potatoes
- Chocolate milk
- Rice cakes
- Dark, leafy green vegetables
- Animal- or plant-based protein powder
- Greek yogurt
- Cottage cheese
- Protein bar
- Nut butters
- Trail mix (dried fruits and nuts)
Examples of the right Post-Workout Meals
- Grilled chicken with roasted vegetables.
- Egg omelet with avocado spread on toast.
- Salmon with sweet potato.
- Tuna salad sandwich on whole grain bread.
- Tuna and crackers.
- Oatmeal, whey protein, banana and almonds.
- Cottage cheese and fruits.
- Pita and hummus.
- Rice crackers and peanut butter.
- Whole grain toast and almond butter.
- Cereal and skim milk.
- Greek yogurt, berries and granola.
- Protein shake and banana.
- Quinoa bowl with berries and pecans.
- Multi-grain bread and raw peanuts.